Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Revised I-9 Form

As I advised previously, as of December 26, 2007, employers are required to use the revised I-9 Form for all employees hired on or after that date. Employers are not required to re-verify existing employees for whom they have a properly completed I-9 Form. Essentially, the revisions concern changes to the list of identity documents which are acceptable proof of an employee's eligibility to work in the United States.

The I-9 Form is a very important document which must be completed and retained by all domestic employers for each employee hired in the United States. The I-9 Form requires the employer to verify the employment eligibility and identity documents provided by the employee and to record the document information on the Form. Employers who fail to use the newly amended Form I-9 may be subject to applicable civil penalties.

The revised form can be downloaded here.

No comments: